With Loyalty Day on May 1, Victory in Europe Day on May 8, Military Spouse Appreciation Day on May 12, Armed Forces Day on May 20 and Memorial Day on May 29, this is a big month for the military. Due to the number of days honoring the armed forces, in 1999 Congress designated May as National Military Appreciation Month, according to Military.com. These days of national unity offer an opportunity for everyone to honor, recognize, remember and appreciate all those who have served and continue to serve our country.
- Loyalty Day kicks off the month-long celebration as a day set aside for everyone to reaffirm their loyalty to our great nation and take a moment to reflect on the proud heritage of our unique American freedom.
- Victory in Europe Day commemorates the Allies acceptance of the German surrender to end World War II in Europe.
- Military Spouse Appreciation Day honors the important role families play in supporting their spouses in the armed forces.
- Armed Forces Day is when when citizens can show their appreciation and thanks to everyone serving in the U.S. military branches, including the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines and Navy.
- Memorial Day, while traditionally the kick-off to summer for most people, is one of the most cherished days for remembering and honoring the sacrifices made by those men and women who gave everything for our country.
"Retailers, restaurants and recreational organizations are providing discounts and promotions."
Some of the great benefits during this month
As a way of celebrating National Military Appreciation Month, many retailers, restaurants and recreational organizations provide discounts and promotions for members of the armed forces and veterans.
Home Depot and Lowe's offers a 10 percent discount on all in-store purchases on Memorial Day.
Blue Star Museums, in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Defense, the National Endowment of the Arts and Blue Star Families, offers free admission to military members starting Memorial Day and going through Labor Day.
Various hotels, such as Hilton, Red Roof Inn and Westgate Resorts also offer a 10 percent discount to all active, reserve or retired service members, offering a great incentive to hit the road and take in some much-needed relaxation.
Military families who want to take advantage of these hotel discounts, can take a trip and receive a discount at the following amusement parks and tourist sites:
- California's Great America.
- Carowinds in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- The Cincinnati Zoo.
- Colonial Williamsburg.
- Kings Island.
- Michigan's Adventure.
In addition to these national chains offering great perks for military members and their families, small businesses and local organizations all across the country are also doing their part with various discounts and promotions. From parades to concerts to special events, people everywhere will be showing their support for the brave men and women who keep our country safe.